Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Artist or Creator



Here are some of the new things I have brewing in the cottage. The owl shadowbox is not exactly new but I have upgraded to a larger size. This is an 8x10 frame and the owl is larger than the last bunch. I was a little overwhelmed at the response to the owl shadowboxes and sold all but one at their debut event. FYI I do plan to list some in the store this week. The blackbird is something I've had in my head for awhile and the bird was drawn about a year ago. As soon as I sketched him out I thought of the song "Blackbird" by Paul McCartney, I love that song.Not sure the bird is complete, I need to change the ribbon for sure and I was thinking of adding some tags to the key. You'll see soon. I thought of putting the bird onto a hand painted Nashville bag and still may do so yet.

I do need to thank my friend and booth partner Jodi Reeves for giving me the encouragement to "branch out". My stash contains paint, brushes, mod podge, wire and a whole lot more. A year ago you would find mostly fabric, thread and buttons. Which brings me back to the title "Artist or Creator"? I have never considered myself an artist, although I know art is not exclusive to a painted canvas. I have been comfortable with creator and think I will stick to that. As women we have the ability to create life! It doesn't get any better than that. I know for myself after I became a mom my creative button clicked and life has never been the same since.

So now that I am putting paint to canvas and "branching out" I think I'll stick to the creator label.

I do have to put a word in about the Webb School of Design event in Bell Buckle......
I helped Jodi the first day (I did not show) and she was interviewed by the Shelbyville paper!
Then she won a ribbon ! Her art was purchased to hang in Webb School! Jodi was the Diva of the Day! Go check her out and get the scoop here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Both! Thanks for you help Sat and the props! I don't feel DIVAISH ( a new word) Love them both - new owl is awesome! besides the cute little owl that background paper is cool.

Nancy said...

I love your shadow boxes! I think you have inspired me to think out of the "quilt" and go more 3-d. It's funny how I have limited myself to being a quilter, when really- it's just another type of collage. So, I too will "branch out". I'd forgotten since acting class how exciting it really is to put yourself "out on a limb". It helps to know there are so many supportive peeps to break the fall. Thank you.

Nancy said...

What an inspiration! I'm going to branch out, too, and try my hand at shadow boxing. Time for me to go out on a limb and go 3-D! Sometimes quilting can feel limiting. Catch me if I fall....